Wednesday, March 12, 2014

family update + my new favorite smoothie ingredient

Good morning, friends! I don't know about you, but the weather has been so beautiful here, even though we haven't all felt 100% to fully enjoy it.

Last week, my husband came down with bronchitis. Not fun. Never fun when your man is ill, especially when he doesn't get sick easily. But sick he was. Once he began to get better, Selah wound up getting the flu! I mean, really?! I thought flu season was over. Not fun at all. It's funny, when you think of motherhood, words like Lysol, quarantine, and 5 milliliters, don't normally come to mind. :)

Yesterday, though she was one sick little girl, she played a bit outside in the sunshine.

You wouldn't think she had fever....she's one tough cookie, that's for sure.

Nathan, thankfully, has been fine and he and I are in "prevention mode," taking lots of vitamins and things to keep us good and healthy. In other news, we are officially potty trained! Glory be. It only took 34 months, but who's counting? ;) He is doing very well and is excited about his birthday coming up next month. As for me, I seriously have an issue with him turning three, but whatever....moving on.


So, I have to tell you about my new favorite smoothie ingredient. Those who know me well know that I am a professed smoothie addict and I have tried lots of different combinations. Juicing and making smoothies are the main way I get more vitamins in my body as I'm not crazy about eating my vegetables. Ech. Anyway, I have a new favorite ingredient that I've been adding into my smoothies and I want to share it with you. 

 You ready?

Kefir

Say wha?? ;)

Kefir (pronounced "kee-fer") is a lot like yogurt. It's a cultured milk product. It tastes very similar but has its differences. For starters, unlike yogurt, Kefir is actually a grain and no other milk culture forms grains, so it's definitely unique.
By the way, the smoothie pictured was the one I had for breakfast yesterday. All you need is a good handful of baby leaf spinach, a banana, a couple of strawberries, a handful of ice, and about 1/2 cup of Kefir. Delicious! And loaded with healthy benefits. 


Want to know more about Kefir?

It flushes out the bad bacteria from your intestines, it regulates digestion, metabolism, and the colon. Not bad.

But there's more.


It's been proven to regulate cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Kefir grains are made up of lactose and sugar-eating bacteria, which makes it awesome for diabetics and even those who are lactose intolerant. It's been said that it promotes an overall sense of well-being. That's good for those who deal with anxiety, depression, or hypertension.

Do your own research and you will find lots of more information about the benefits of Kefir. I found it in the milk section of our grocery store. :) 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...