Wednesday, February 26, 2014

a getaway weekend + my 28th birthday

This past Saturday, my husband and I flew to Stowe, VT for a getaway weekend/birthday celebration. We haven't gone anywhere alone together in a while, so it was exciting. Although it tears us both apart when we leave our kids ANYWHERE for any length of time, it was so great to get away and relax and be together. Grant chose Vermont because I love mountains and we don't see much snow here in Arkansas. He chose Stowe because we both love little old towns with lots of history and architecture. So since we didn't do anything for my birthday or our anniversary last year, he figured he would whisk me away to a charming little village in the north. And I have to say, I was charmed. :) Here are some highlights of the trip. :)

This was the view as we drove from Burlington, VT to Stowe, VT. Isn't it incredible?
The charming little Inn where we stayed, built in 1833. I loved how all the buildings were old. We learned that it is beyond difficult for anyone to change anything in the town,especially the buildings. There are no chain restaurants or shops. Everything is locally owned and operated in old, renovated houses. Personally, I loved it. Totally felt like stepping into another world.
Grant wanted to take me on a carriage ride when we were on our honeymoon.We never did that, so, when we saw this place on the side of the road, we HAD to stop this time and do it! And I have to say, dashing through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh (with jingle bells!) was fantastic.
See that little building waaaaaaaay up there? Since we are not skiers, we decided to take the gondola up to the top to see the view. OH.MY.GOODNESS. Stunning. Our God is so big and mighty. Seeing those mountains up close made me think of what a strong tower and rock my God is. 
The view as we were nearly at the top. Unreal.

Trapp as in Von Trapp. As in the Sound of Music. I didn't know this, but the Von Trapp family
did a U.S. tour in 1939, and in 1942 they purchased a farm in Stowe, VT. They chose Stowe because it reminded them of their home in Austria. I have to tell you, being up on the hill where the lodge is located reminded me of the mountains in the Sound of Music movie! Beyond beautiful. I see why they chose the spot. The farm grew and is now a mountain resort, owned and operated by Sam Von Trapp, the grandson of the Captain and Maria Von Trapp. We went to eat dinner there one night and we tried their "American food with an Austrian flair." Delicious. Oh and, no, I restrained myself from dancing around the place singing "The hills are aliiiive...." ;)

I loved the snowy mountains. :)


We went out to a nice restaurant for my birthday. The view was beautiful, the
atmosphere was romantic, the food was AMAZING, and they even surprised me
with a delicious little treat!


Me and my man. :) In the snow. With Mt. Mansfield behind us. 

It was good to get away, but I have to say that the best part was coming home to our two beautiful kids. Parenthood ruined us, y'all! We can't stand being away from our little punkins' for long. And scooping them up in my arms was definitely the best birthday gift of all!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...