Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Dear Single Sisters


Dear Single Sisters,

It is morning and the house is quiet; something very rare with two little ones who love to make noise! The sun is pouring through the windows and I can hear the birds sing their happy morning song. It's a beautiful day.

For some unknown reason, I am thinking of you.


Yes you.

You are sitting at your computer/laptop or scrolling down through your smartphone or iPad. I don't know you. I don't know what you go through in your day-to-day life; your ups and your downs. I do not know your life's ambitions and I don't know the deepest desires of your heart. But I can guess that you desire love. You desire a knight in shining armor. You long for a "happily ever after" kind of love story. After all, that is how our God created us. 

Sister, what can I possibly say to you that would accurately describe how big our God is? It amazes me that when I was 18 years old, single, and wondering if I would ever find true love, God was orchestrating a beautiful story up ahead of me. And I had no idea! When I met my husband-to-be when I was 21 years old, little did I know that my Lord was smiling down, knowing that I wouldn't catch on to His master plan until over a year later!.God is much bigger than our minds can possibly fathom. I know you may be sitting there wondering if He has forgotten you or if He really cares about your relationship status. Maybe you are even skeptical. I assure you that He has not forgotten you, and I can testify that He does care, even about the most minute details of your life. That's the kind of God He is. I used to wonder the same things you may have wondered about. I wanted a noble Knight to charge into my life and win my heart. I wanted a fairytale story and I wanted a love worth waiting for. I wondered if I would actually get what I dreamed and prayed for. I doubted God's faithfulness, but He proved me wrong!


How can I encourage you to wait on the Lord? 

We live in an "instant" world. We have microwavable dinners, instant messages, and everything NOW! And each year, it seems like things get quicker and faster. Day by day, it gets easier and easier to become impatient and discontent. In relationships, it is no different. I remember when I made the choice not to date. I had gotten a glimpse of something big and beautiful. I pictured my wedding day and my wedding night and the more I dwelt on it, then more I wanted to be able to stand before my groom and give him everything. No leftovers. No past history. No baggage. No comparisons. Was it easy to wait? No, it wasn't. But was it worth it on my wedding day? YES, it was!


My sisters, if I could say two things to you I would say:
  1. Wait on our God. If you are playing the dating game, ditch the boyfriend until the Author of Love sends you HIS choice. Do not take the writing pen into your hands, but let our Lord script your story. HE writes only the best love stories! Let Him have control. The Bible says that our hearts are deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9) and to guard it closely (Proverbs 4:23). Do not give pieces of your heart and body away. Do not throw around "I love You's" because each time you do, it becomes less meaningful to your future husband. Dear friends, I cannot stress the magnitude of the beauty that comes with waiting. It is worth every sacrifice, every tear of loneliness, every dateless night, and every moment you spend patiently waiting on the Lord. Do not doubt His faithfulness. Please, wait. And while you are waiting.....
         
  2. Fall in love with Jesus. As you sit patiently and wait for your earthly prince to come and carry you away into the sunset (it still happens, believe you me!), fall more in love with your heavenly Prince, Jesus Christ. As you draw nearer to His heart, He will comfort you, strengthen you, and fill your life with joy and contentment....and the waiting won't be much of a big a deal anymore, because you will be totally taken up with Christ. The Bible says that the Lord will give each of us the desires of our hearts IF we delight in Him (Psalm 37:4-5). I encourage you to do so. Learn more about who He is and what He has done and will do. Read His love letter to you. Talk with Him. Lean on Him. Run to Him. Adore Him. The more your mind and heart is captured by Jesus, the more beautiful your earthly love story will be. And rest assured that no sneaky prince-wanna-be will be able to deceive you if you are completely focused on Him. Instead, the noble man of God that the Lord has in store for you will not only be captivated by your relationship with Jesus, he will lead you even closer to Christ! Sisters, please do away with distractions and petty come-and-go things. Fall into the arms of our ever-faithful, constant Companion and Champion, Jesus. You will never regret it.

What more can I say? The choice is yours, but I pray fervently that each of you will catch a glimpse of the glorious love story our God has for you.....and then serve your faithful King as you wait. It is worth it....and He is faithful.

Love,
    your sister

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! This was the most encouraging thing I have read in quite a while, well since your other posts geared toward single girls, to be honest. I will admit, I struggle a lot with not knowing if it really is possible to trust God and let Him to the writing, and sometimes if it will even be worth the not dating and waiting because often I see no hope around me. I wonder if there really are godly, honorable guys out there because when I look around where I am- I see none. But this gave me so much hope and the desire to press on. Your words were such a blessing to read and they definitely came in God-timing! Thank you so much for always encouraging single gals to trust in the Lord and let Him write their love story. I have been so inspired and encouraged by you and your love story! Many blessings to you and your family, Kristen!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I was and am encouraged and challenged by it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...