Friday, June 17, 2011

I Serve a God Who Parted the Sea

Do you ever have those days when you feel like "it" (whatever "it" is in your life) is impossible?

I do.

There are moments when my faith is so weak; when I look up to the Heavens and say, "WHY?" or "HOW?" It's embarrassing to admit that most times I do not truly trust the Lord. I can easily grow faithless and doubtful and hesitant and sceptical.

Horrible, isn't it?

God is teaching me much these days. He is teaching me how to be His version of a mother and a wife. He is teaching me about real beauty. And He is teaching me about trust.....which I have determined is a lifelong classroom lesson.

Trust is hard!

I don't understand why it is so difficult to trust the GOD who created me and knows me better than I know myself. I don't understand why it is so hard for me to let go and allow God to do things HIS way. I don't know why I sometimes think that I know best. Usually, "my way" ends up horribly wrong. HIS way, however, is always perfectly right. And though it may not be how I would like it, or in "my" timing, if HE is in control of things, it is all going to work for His glory. The key is for me to trust Him....and for heaven's sake, let go of the steering wheel!

Will I ever learn?

I was reading today in Exodus, being reminded when God parted the Red Sea for Moses and the children of Israel. Usually in movies, the parting of the sea is depicted in this dramatic "ahhhh" moment. Moses lifts his hands and - SWOOSH! - the waves roll back and TA-DA! Dry land! But if you read carefully, that is not how it happened. In Exodus 14 verses 21, it says, "And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided."

Did you notice the words "all that night"? Meaning....there wasn't an instant parting. But the winds blew all night long. It didn't happen immediately.

Now, I am convinced that in that great multitude of people, there were at least a dozen who were probably thinking, "Moses, I know you believe God said He would part the sea. But it's been...what? three hours now? Let it go!" Considering the history that the children of Israel had with "murmuring," I'm sure there were plenty of people that night who grew faithless and doubtful and did not trust what God said He would do. I am sure they wanted to believe, but since it didn't happen instantly (or in an hour or so), they gave up went to plan B.

Don't we do that? I know I do. Sometimes, I wish God would work NOW! And sometimes when He doesn't, I grow doubtful and skeptical. But OH to remember that the God who said He would part the sea (Exodus 14:15-16) WILL keep His word! OH to be faithful in ALL things! Oh, to be unmovable in my faith and believe with all that is in me that the God who promised, WILL remain true to His promise!

The Lord has made so many promises to us:

* He is our ever present help in times of trouble. - Psalm 46:1
* He has overcome the world. - John 16:33
* He will give us rest. - Matthew 11:28
* We have everlasting life. - John 6:47
* He is faithful to His covenant. - Deuteronomy 7:9
* He will sustain us. - Psalm 55:22
* He will listen to our prayers. - Jeremiah 29:12-13
* He will ANSWER our prayers. - Jeremiah 33:3
* He will lead and direct us. - Proverbs 3:6
* He cares for us. - 1 Peter 5:7
* He will supply our every need. - Philippians 4:19
* His grace is sufficient for us. - 2 Corinthians 12:9
* He has great plans for us! - Jeremiah 29:11

What a wonderful God we serve who, even in our failings and in our disbelief, STILL keeps His word. He still answers prayer. He still "parts our sea." No, it may not be in my perfect timing. No, it usually isn't the way I want it to be. But what a peaceful thing it is to KNOW that if all is in His hands, all is well.

On the days when I am looking over a very big sea that I can't imagine ever getting across, it is good to be reminded that MY God, the Lord that I serve, still parts the waters.

Isaiah 43:2
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee."


Isaiah 43:16
Thus saith the LORD, which maketh a way in the sea, and a path in the mighty waters;


Isaiah 43:19
Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Beholding Glory


2 comments:

Purposely at Home said...

Thank you for this! I needed to hear it! :)

Pamela said...

What a wonderful post. Sometimes we just need to stop and remember God's promises. Your list of them fed my soul and I feel much renewed just reading them.

Adorable baby!

Blessings,
Pamela

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...