Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Movie Recommendations -- 08/09/2011



I love reading the stories of the heroes of our faith. Amy Carmichael. Richard & Sabina Wurmbrand. Mary Slesser. David Livingstone. I enjoy being inspired and stirred by their faith and what they did for the Lord. This movie is based on the true story of Nate Saint, Ed McCully, Jim Elliot, Peter Fleming, and Roger Youderian; the five missionaries martyred in Ecuador in 1956. Having a burning passion to take the Gospel to the Huaorani people (an Indian tribe known for spearing any stranger on site), these five men decide to make contact and bring them the news of Jesus. When I watched this movie for the first time, I literally bawled my eyes out. It is a convicting story about passion, ministry, true love, strength and ultimate forgiveness. I highly recommend this movie, along with the documentary, Beyond the Gates of Splendor.
            


Every home needs to have this movie on their shelf. I watched "Fireproof" before I married and was powerfully impacted. Now that I am married, I love it all the more! For those who have not yet seen this movie, it follows firefighter, Caleb, and his wife, Katherine, as they plummet downhill towards a divorce. To please his godly father, Caleb accepts a "dare" and embarks on a journey to save his marriage. What follows is an amazing story of salvation, redemption, forgiveness, and the power that comes when God is given control. I also recommend the book, "The Love Dare," which is a fantastic tool in strengthening (or saving) your marriage.
           

                
Nathan and I watched this little video yesterday afternoon. "The Legend of the Three Trees." Years ago I was given the book but have never watched the video until yesterday. It is a beautifully sweet little story about three trees with three different dreams of what they want to be. One tree longs to be a beautiful chest that will hold treasures. Another tree dreams of being a great ship fit for a king, sailing the oceans. The third tree wants to remain rooted and strong, growing to be the tallest tree in the forest and reminding others of God's glory when they look up at his majestic stature. Each tree has a dream, but each each tree must learn to trust God and HIS dreams for you instead. It is a very cute and precious animated story. I love it.
             

        
I am sure many have seen the new movie, "Soul Surfer" by now. If not, it is definitely a great inspirational movie. I had never heard of Bethany Hamilton, but will be looking her up now that I have seen this movie, based upon her story of overcoming a terrible shark attack and rising to be a national champion in surfing. Grant and I were both inspired by this movie and enjoyed it very much. (Note - For you parents who are seeking to protect your sons and instruct your daughters in holiness, be advised that there is a bit of immodesty in this movie due to some of the swimwear.)


          
This series is excellent! I discovered the Torchlighter series a couple of years ago through the Voice of the Martyr's ministry. They are animated videos that highlight the lives of great heroes of the faith (Jim Elliot, Amy Carmichael, Eric Liddell, Gladys Aylward, Vibia Perpetua, Richard Wurmbrand, and William Tyndale to name a few). To my knowledge, they release a new video once a year. This is an absolute must-have for your children and for your family as a whole! Each video is about 30-45 minutes and comes with various bonus features, including a 45-60 minute documentary on the life of each "hero." This series is fantastic and will help our children learn who their role models and heroes should be; not the people of Hollywood, but those who have given their lives for the sake of Christ.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've only seen one of the above movies, so I'll certainly have to check the others out.

Fireproof I have seen, and I loved it. I immediately did a search on Amazon for the books... one for me, one for my hubby. We had been married for a little over nine years, and we were actually at a very high point in our marriage. A friend of mine was over one day after the books came in the mail, and saw them on the coffee table. She didn't understand what we needed with them.

No marriage can be too strong. What seemed like a great relationship between us became incredible. We already pray and study together... but there was something about completing "the dare" that brought a different kind of aspect to the relationship.

Definitely a highly recommended movie/book regardless of a couple's relationship status!

Thanks for the movie recommendations dearie!

Lisa said...

Agree with all except Fireproof! :) The other ones are GOOD! :)

Lisa said...

Oh wait... I just realized I haven't seen Soul Surfer. Haha. Can't say about that one!

Kristen Elizabeth Lee said...

Why not Fireproof?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...