Friday, June 20, 2014

My Summer Reading List

Jumping on the bandwagon today with my summer reading list. Motherhood leaves little time for pleasure reading but I have been trying to make it a habit to turn in a little earlier every night so I can read a bit before bed. I find that if I take time to fill my heart and mind with encouragement and Biblically based books, I am less likely to be stressed out and un-joyful! Some of these books I have already started, some I have yet to begin. But my goal is to finish them all before September. So here is my reading list for the summer.




Kohila: The Shaping of an Indian Nurse by Amy Carmichael. This is the story of Kohila, a little girl who was raised and discipled by Amy Carmichael. It is so much more than just a biography and I haven't found a book written by Amy Carmichael that I haven't devoured yet. :)


The Secret of a Woman's Influence by Joyce Rogers. I believe this book is out of print now. In 2012, I heard Joyce Rogers speak for the first time and she instantly became one of my heroes. While there, I got this book which is full of wisdom and Godly mentoring from Mrs. Rogers.

The Mom Walk: Keeping in Step With God's Heart for Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. Sally has some excellent books on motherhood and this one is no different. I've been steadily going through this one for a few weeks now and it is so very encouraging!

When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling by R.C. Sproul Jr. If you are interested in homeschooling (or if you are a homeschool veteran!) I recommend this book. I've been very encouraged and reminded of WHY I want to homeschool my children.

Raising Godly Tomatoes by Elizabeth Krueger. I have been reading this book at a snail's pace because I don't want it to end. If I could recommend a parenting book, this would likely be the one. I love how it is full of Scripture and how it gives practical advice for raising children and enjoying it with, as the author puts it, only occasional trips to the woodshed!


The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I am very anxious to begin this book. He has been called one of the most important theologians of the twentieth century and this book came highly recommended by my uncle who holds a doctorate degree in Theology, so I am looking forward to reading it.

Red-Hot Monogamy: Making Your Marriage Sizzle by Bill & Pam Farrel. This is another book I haven't started yet, but I have heard some great things about it. Anxious to see what all the fuss is about.

Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovic. I have laughed reading this book. Rachel is the mother of five children, ages five and under, including a set of twins! So she knows what she's talking about when she addresses the chaos and mayhem of raising little people.

Redeeming Childbirth: Experiencing His Presence in Pregnancy, Labor, Childbirth, and Beyond by Angie Tolpin. I told myself after I gave birth to Selah that if/when I became pregnant again, I would purchase this book. Upon my next positive pregnancy test, I went and bought it. There are just no words to describe how great this book is. This pregnancy has been different for me, emotionally, but Angie does an amazing job of taking every discomfort and fear found in pregnancy and child-rearing and bringing it all back to Jesus and His glory.



And so there is my lofty list. What are you reading this summer? Have a recommendation? I'd love to hear it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...