Friday, July 8, 2011

He Stays The Same

Sometimes I have moments when I despise being an emotional creature. Emotions are crazy things. They can sneak up on you, grab you up, take you for a joyride (not sure where the joy is, though), and then drop you on your head....hence the headache.

A few days ago, I felt like I was going through an emotional roller coaster.

Oh yes, I'm happy. Sooooooo happy! *smile*
I'm just....so.....down!
I'm really, really not happy.
What a pretty day! *smile*
My day has been rotten.
No, nothing bad happened...
I'm fine, really.
Okay, I'm NOT fine.
No, I don't know why...

Sound familiar, girls?

My poor husband was at his wits end and, to be honest, I was too. Call it hormones. Call it being a first-time mommy. Call it being a wife. Call it what you will. I call it annoying and exasperating.

Oh yes, I'm human. I have plenty of days when I snap at my husband, when I am totally and completely selfish, when I actually want to be angry, and when I am not happy about anything. And then suddenly, it's like all is right in the world. Out of nowhere, I am happy to be alive, excited about my future, sweet as sugar to my husband, and giddy as a little girl!

Where did that come from?? I have no idea....  I can only say I'm a woman and I have a truck-load of emotions. And they change.... a lot.

All in all, I am thankful that God created me as an emotional creature. I want to feel things. However, I do not want my "feelings" to take over and have control. I want to bring my body - emotions included - into subjection (1 Corinthians 9:27). That isn't always easy though, is it?

Thinking back to the other day, I almost wish I could just stay happy all the time and never, ever change. My feelings are always shifting and it is a job to simply not get lost in my endless parade of emotions. However, this provides two good lessons.

Lesson #1 - Happiness is based on circumstances. Joy is based on contentment. Happiness is a feeling. Joy is a state of being. Happiness is momentary. Joy is eternal. And joy - true joy - comes from Christ.

Lesson #2 - If I were unchangeable, I would never stand in awe of my unchangeable God.

I am still a work-in-progress. I will still struggle to keep my emotions in check. I will continue to forever be striving, with God's help, to act in accordance with the Word of God. But how encouraging it is to KNOW that right by my side is a Helper, Companion, Friend, Leader, Provider, and Savior who is never confusing or swayed at any time by any thing. How comforting it is to know that, although my feelings may change every day, I serve and follow a God who stays the same.

Malachi 3:6a
"For I am the LORD, I change not...."


Hebrews 13:8
"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."




Beholding Glory



2 comments:

Lisa said...

Boy, can I relate! I said before that God made our hormones and emotions, so He can certainly give us the ability to control them. After all, a fruit of the Spirit is self-control. I, too, am thankful that even though my emotions change and even though my circumstances change, my God remains the same! Great post, Kristen! I found you through the linkup at Beholding Glory. Many blessings!

Singing Pilgrim said...

Here for the first time from Beholding Glory.

Just yesterday I was on this roller coaster, trying to surrender it to God (and did, and it was great). But other days the roller coaster overtakes. I guess what I mean is, yes, I understand. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...