Friday, July 29, 2011

Deer Wraps

Okay, so Grant and I are on a diet. He is doing Weight Watchers. I am counting calories. I have lost 3 lbs this week. He has lost....actually, I don't know how much he has lost. Maybe I should suggest we compete on who looses the most, yes? :)

So anyway, doing the diet thing is always (and I repeat - ALWAYS) absolutely horrific for anyone who enjoys food....like me....and Grant....and anyone normal. But it hasn't been so bad for me. ESPECIALLY when you have the delicious dinner we had last night.

I was hungry for deer meat and we have a bunch in our freezer. I always cook it the same way. Fried, with mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and biscuits on the side. Incredibly yummy....and incredibly fattening. So I got out of my box and did something new and at the end of the night, I was proud of myself. While the deer meat was thawing, I kept thinking, "What can I do with this that will be good for us both?" And BING! The light came on and I made Deer wraps (or Venison wraps for you northerners). Grant and I both love grilled chicken wraps, so I used the same concept, and....it....was....awesome! Want the recipe? Of course you do!

Ingredients:
6 pieces of deer meat
1 Tbls of Garlic
2 Tbls of Salt
1 Tbls Pepper
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 1/2 cup of Italian dressing
1 half of a bell pepper
1 tomato
1 half of an onion
4 flour Tortillas

Directions:
First, tenderize your deer meat then cut your meat into long, thin pieces. Then let marinate in 1 cup of Italian dressing with garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano. Prepare grill (I used our little George Forman). While grill is warming up, take your tomato, onion, and bell pepper and cut long-wise into slices. When grill is ready, cook your deer meat until fully done. While meat is cooking, warm your tortillas. Pour remaining 1/2 cup of Italian dressing in with chopped veggies. When ready, spoon veggies into the tortilla and add deer meat.

YUM!

** Variation **  If you don't want to grill your meat but would rather fry your pieces, then marinate your meat in Italian dressing alone, then roll in 2 cups of flour and your seasonings. Then fry on medium heat. Also, delish!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh.... OH OH OH. Haha. Those sound SO good. I've made things like that before but it's been a long time. Thank you for the reminder! I usually make it with the less-desirable cuts of beef since I don't have fresh deer meat like you, but the idea is still very much the same! :)

Jennifer said...

Those do sound yummy! I'll definitely be giving these a try, since we have quite a bit of deer meat that needs eaten in our freezer as well!

Our favorite so far is putting a deer roast in a baking pan with a few cups of chicken broth, a chopped onion, and a hint of garlic... then making a simple salad of lettuce, fresh spinach, shredded carrots, diced tomatoes, and chopped peppers. It's so filling, very yummy, and it's a dish void of carbs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...