Thursday, April 19, 2012

Practical Ways to Be Still

There are mornings when I rise early and I enjoy a cup of coffee with my Bible as my little boy plays on the living room floor. (And I love those mornings!) And it seems as though the rest of the day is more peaceful and joyous. But then I have days when I roll out of bed and rush through the whole morning day, somehow making it in one piece by bedtime. I keep telling myself, "I'll just put on one more load of laundry, then I will sit down with my Bible," or "If I wait until naptime, I'll have peace and quiet." And then before I know it, the day is gone.

As a wife, it is easy to be rushed. I have my husbands' clothes to wash, dry, iron, and fold. I have his home to tend to. I have food to prepare for dinner. I have errands to run.

As a mom, it is really easy to be rushed! I have feedings, bathtime, naptime, playtime, and time that I intentionally set aside to teach him.

No matter how long you have walked with Christ, it will always be a struggle to simply be still and get alone with God. Satan will try every tactic he can to distract us and remind us of our never-ending "to-do" list. We have to be INTENTIONAL in our relationship with the Lord....or we will grow to be frazzled, stressed out, and lacking in the beautiful atmosphere that alone time with Jesus brings.
  
 
After having my "fill" for a crazy, frazzled day, I made the following list of ways to remind me to STOP and BE STILL!

  1. Do not press snooze. Get up. Greet Jesus.
      
  2. At breakfast, as you recite Nathan's mealtime verse, find one (or two!) yourself to meditate on throughout the day.
       
  3. Pray while folding the laundry or doing dishes.
      
  4. At naptime, intentionally set aside time for quiet prayer and study.
      
  5. Get to bed at a decent hour. If possible, bring your Bible to bed and read a few passages before you turn out the light.

"Thou layest Thy hand on the fluttering heart, And sayest, “Be still!” The silence and shadow are only a part Of Thy sweet will; Thy presence is with me, and where Thou art I fear no ill." - F. R. HAVERGAL.

"Be still and cool in thy own mind and spirit from thy own thoughts, and then thou wilt feel the principle of God, to turn thy mind to the Lord God, from whom life comes; whereby thou mayest receive His strength, and power to allay all blustering storms and tempests. That is it which works up into patience, into innocency, into soberness, into stillness, into stayedness, into quietness, up to God with His power. Therefore be still awhile from thy own thoughts, searching, seeking, desires, and imaginations, and be stayed in the principle of God in thee, that it may raise thy mind up to God, and stay it upon God; and thou wilt find strength from Him, and find Him to be a God at hand, a present help in the time of trouble and need." - GEORGE FOX.



I'm linked to: Raising Mighty Arrows

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...