Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lactation Cookies


Pinterest deserves my profound gratitude. I discovered this wonderful recipe a few months before baby girl made her appearance and I made the decision immediately that I would try them out.

With my first child, I couldn't nurse like I wanted to. So I gave up and we went to formula. This time around, I resolved to do everything I could think of to prepare for breastfeeding and to boost my supply. And out of all the things I have done, this is my favorite! ---though that's probably because I am a sucker for a chocolate chip cookie! So for all of you mommies-of-babies out there, here is a delicious recipe for some mouth-watering lactation goodness! Oh and if you are not pregnant, don't worry, this won't make you produce milk. My husband eats them too! ;)


Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 3/4 c. rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 c. peanut butter (organic peanut butter is best)
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. ground flax seed
3 T brewer’s yeast (can be found online or at your local healthfood store)
1/3 c. water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 c. chocolate chips (organic chips are recommended but I didn't have any on hand)
1 c. chopped nuts of your choice (I left mine out)

Directions:
Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. In a large bowl, beat almond butter, butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, brewer’s yeast, flax and water until creamy. Mix in eggs. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Mix in nuts and chocolate chips. Slowly mix in oats. Place Tbsp.-sized balls of dough onto greased cookie sheets. Press down each ball lightly with a fork. Bake 12 minutes at 350F. Allow to cool. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Mary nesbitt Bush said...

Girl, I feel ya. I tried everything to be able to nurse Riverlyn; but due to some medical issues, it was just not meant to be. I just pray I can nurse the next one at least 3 months as well.
More power to ya! I hope this works for you. I know how frustrating it is not being able to breastfeed when you really want to!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...