Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Proverbs 31 Quest || pt 8

  
Proverbs 31:17
"She girdeth her loins with strength,
and strengtheneth her arms."
                   
I'm going to be honest and admit that I am having a hard time writing about "strengthening my arms" instead of climbing onto my elliptical right now. I'm trying to work out regularly, get more toned and, hopefully, lose the last few "baby" pounds. Instead I am sitting at my desk reading about Miss 31. In my study of her, I can already see that she pursues a healthy lifestyle. Maybe she didn't go to the gym of her day, but I can imagine running after her kids and working from daylight to dusk, without the distraction of the wonderful world wide web, kept her in pretty good shape! But this verse, surprisingly, isn't just about physical strength. Let's dig into the next passage in our pursuit of Miss 31.

"She girdeth her loins with strength..."

Gird - to put on as a belt or armor
* Loins - existence, form, human body
* Strength - might, boldness, power

In chapter 6 of Ephesians, Paul tells us a bit about the armor of God. He gives us five pieces of armor to put on: the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of peace, the shield of faith, and the helmet of salvation.

Ephesians 6:10-17
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

In Proverbs 31, we can see that Miss 31 girds her loins with strength. Now, obviously, they don't sell a belt of strength at Dillards or the local thrift store, so let's look at this spiritually.

Miss 31 adorns her existence with boldness; with might and power. Just like we wear a belt or some other accessory, she wraps strength around her body. That speaks to me because, in all honesty, some days I am very, very weak. As a wife, I get weary. As a mommy, I often grow lazy. As a Christian, I can be far too silent. In order to grow, I need to daily put on the armor of God and wrap myself in His power and strength. How do I do that? By taking time to study His word. The closer I draw to Jesus, the more of His strength I will have. I cannot wish to be strong any more than I can sit here wishing my body to get toned and lean. If I want to shape up, I have to get up and work at it....and my spiritual life is no different. In disciplining myself with prayer, fasting, study, and seeking the Lord's face, I am adorning myself in the strength and power of Christ.

"...and strengtheneth her arms."

* Strengtheneth - steadfastly minded, courageous, fortify
 
I LOVE what this word means. Fortify. Courageous. Miss 31 puts on the armor of God's strength and might with courageous and steadfast resolve. May I do the same...

Proverbs 31:17
"She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms."

What does this verse mean to you?



This post is linked to: Raising Mighty Arrows, Feminine Adventures, The Purposeful Mom, and Our Simple Country Life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...